Saturday, November 29, 2008

November 28 - Life Lessons

Todays Topic: Patience

Here's the story: I was running low on sleep due to travels and tire tragedies on the toll road the previous day. On Wednesday morning I was hoping to run out and see a couple patients while the kids were in school for a few hours before the Thanksgiving holiday started. Patient #1 expected me at 8AM.

Then we all overslept, the kids missed the bus, so it was rush, rush just to get everyone fed and sort-of matching. Shoes disappear, no one wants to wear a coat, someone can't find xyz. Aaargh!Finally get everyone in the car - I think - but I have to back out of the garage, go back in the house to close the door because the door opener isn't working. Frustrated, kids whining about seat belts, I cruised backwards... to the sound of fantastic crunching! I looked back and Skyler's passenger door was bent backwards almost ripped off the hinges. Oh. My.

It took about 5 minutes of maneuvering to get the car out of the garage because the door wouldn't close and the cabinet I hit was in shards all over. I drove about 20mph with Skyler holding the door at a 45 degree angle to drop them at school, then nursed the car over to the mechanic.
I think I provide entertainment value for Peterson European Automotive. After 20 minutes of banging, both passenger doors are mostly functional, and they didn't even charge me. I nearly burst into tears and hugged the mechanic. He didn't charge me because "you're in here often enough anyway." Is that a blessing or a joke?
After that, the day was back on track. One of my cheaper lessons I guess. In my frame of mind, it could easily have been Skyler's arm that got ripped off and not just the steel Volvo door. Wow. I am so thankful God is still teaching me lessons. Feel free to remind me.

No comments: