Monday, November 24, 2008

November 24 - Applesauce Adventures

An annual event since my childhood has been canning applesauce from scratch. Now that I'm the "grown-up in charge", it has become a kind of adventure that the kids actually request for months in advance. Which is pretty cool.

First we go to the farmer’s market and pick out a bushel each of golden and red apples. After they mellow for a few weeks, becoming soft and sweet, the process begins. The kids’ favorite is running the applesauce mill handed down from my parents. Scooping steaming apple quarters into the machine, squashing them through and turning the crank is sloppy and sticky and always fun. They were pretty good at taking turns this year, but the negotiations were fierce and Seth is the master at getting what he really wants.

Some fun facts:
- 2 bushels of fresh apples makes about 10 quarts of applesauce
- It takes about 4 hours
- Apples oxidize quickly, turning brown then black, so timing is important
- The fingers and nails on my right hand are still stained black a week later

I’m glad to be following through some traditions passed on by my parents and cherish that my children enjoy the experience and flavor of something homemade with love. I hope they remember the value of time together creating memories and food.

1 comment:

River said...

I really like that story. It's very beautiful and I am sure your kids will have those wonderful memories forever.