Wednesday, November 12, 2008

DVD Review - The Diving Bell & the Butterfly

I've had this DVD from Netflix since mid-September, and while I thought it sounded interesting and came highly recommended, I was worried it would be depressing. I have enough depressing in real life and don't need more as entertainment. However, last night I took the time with a friend to give it a try. Wow.

This adapted autobiography of Jean-Dominique Bauby, author and Elle magazine editor, was stunning. In 1995, he suffered a stroke that put him in a coma, and he awoke mute and completely paralyzed except for one eye. Through extensive rehab he developed a tedious communication method of blinking and dictated this moving story as he re-evaluated his life, his loved ones and his outlook on the future. The perspective starts completely internally and broadens throughout the film; visually and emotionally poignant. Highly recommended.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh, yay! You finally watched it! Glad you enjoyed the movie, I thought it was such a moving story.