Thursday, October 16, 2008

October 16 - Required Re-learning

With my flexible schedule and awesome job, I have the opportunity to help out in each of the kids' classrooms on a weekly basis. I have decided it's a little bit of a mission outreach and out of my comfort zone since I don't actually like children that much. However, the benefits to being an integral part of their school lives, friends and learning are HUGE!

All that as an introduction to my real rant. Recently I have had the opportunity to get to know many new people, and a few generalizations are disturbing. Do you know how many adults in their 30s and 40s aren't even registered to vote? Do you know how many haven't picked up a book in years? Do you know how many are just figuring out the whole info superhighway thing and have spent the last decade mostly drifting through life figuring the perfect person will make them happy?! Ugh!

I think it should be mandatory that every 5 years or so we get sent back to grade school. There, the walls are plastered with helpful info that many adults seem to have forgotten.

- Tell the truth, then you won't have to remember the story.
- You only fail when you quit trying.
- Learning is a daily process.
- Helping someone else smile will make both of your days brighter.
- Treat others with the respect you desire.

You know, the basics. Maybe every now and then we could just walk the halls together and follow the line leader and keep our hands to ourselves. I think this just might solve some of the world's woes.

No comments: