Sunday, March 16, 2008

March 17 - Thoughts

I've had some interesting breast cancer related experiences in the last week:

I've noticed that anyone who's been through breast cancer is pretty open about flashing scars. I sat in an office with an acquaintance last week, and she promptly lifted her shirt to illustrate her recovery story. She described the beautiful tan one breast got from 30+ radiation treatments. I felt a little embarrassed, but I bet I'm the same way. My chest is no longer intimate territory; it's lumpy bags with hard edges and deep v-neck scars. I'll point out the oddities to anyone.

I have two post-mastectomy patients who have really different scars from me. They're both over 60 and declined reconstruction. One lady had her surgery years ago, and I'm seeing her for recovery from knee surgery. The other one had her surgery last summer along with a lung resection. She is continuing to have lots of pain, limited arm motion tolerance and is getting home care after her 2nd hospitalization for pneumonia in 2 months. They both have a horizontal line at about the 7th rib and a funny pouch under their arm pits. Neither one received any education about scar mobilization, range of motion, or nerve injury and recovery. I think surgeons might be focusing on "cut-and-survive" while missing out on treating the whole person who has a life to get back to.

Speaking of which, I have two kids who are requesting home-made cookies for a snack. I'd better get back to my life.

No comments: