Sunday, November 18, 2007

November 18 - So tired

I've been wondering why I'm so exhausted all the time - still. I can take 2 naps a day without any difficulty sleeping at night. This doesn't feel normal. I don't remember my kids being able to run relay races around me for hours on end before.

Those who have "been there" are sympathetic and try to be reassuring. I spoke to my cancer buddy from the American Cancer Society Reach to Recovery program this week. We were "matched" because we were diagnosed at a similar age, live in the same area, and both have three kids. However, she had a lumpectomy and chemo/radiation. She describes fatigue, but more related to treatment than surgery. And she was so perky, I suspect she had a more get-up-and-go attitude to start with.

My aunt and mom both say the physical and emotional toll lasted for about 3 months after all the interventions were done, with occasional set backs for a year. And they didn't have jobs or kids to deal with at the time.

Just because it's to be expected, doesn't give me any more patience for myself. If I wasn't dragging so low, I'd give myself a kick in the tail! I'm going to lay on the couch for a while and practice breathing now...

No comments: