Tuesday, September 4, 2007

September 4, 2007 - I'm Curious

Today was "Meet the Plastic Surgeon Day". During the weeks leading up to this appointment, I hadn't given it much thought. Just figured it would be a nice, informative meeting with the doc. What I wasn't prepared for was The Waiting Room. I'm reminded of the cafeteria in high school. Every eye upon you. "Please, Lord, don't let me trip and spray Wham Surprise* and Stripples** all over the Goddess in front of me."

Mel's appointment was at "1:50p". I say that with quotes, because I'm not sure why they even give you a time. You're going to spend the day there anyway, they should just tell you to come in the morning and they'll fit you in eventually. Pack a lunch! Bring the fam! Let's make a day of it! Sorry, I digress.

I entered The Waiting Room at approximately one thirty and change. Sure, every eye was on me, but I'm used to that. I sauntered over to the magazine rack, deftly thumbed through the Better Homes & Gardens and People, and settled on a more masculine Travel magazine. I chose a seat with some breathing room and proceeded to wait for Mel and try to read. I didn't realize how hard that would be.

Turns out, I'm curious. Why are these people here? The guy with the nose was a no-brainer, but there was also a man there with his teenage son. Across from me was a grandmother, mother and pre-teen son playing Nintendo. Next to them was a mother with her daughter, about my age (21 for future reference). We were all sitting there in The Waiting Room like a bowl of mixed nuts. Each one with their own shape and flavor. Whenever a new specimen arrived, we'd all gawk and wonder what they were in for.

Mel entered The Waiting Room around 1:40p and walked the gauntlet. She's so confident and focused, I don't think it even fazed her. On top of that, she had paperwork to do and probably didn't notice my inappropriate musings. At 2:15p we were finally ushered into the exam room. At 2:32 I made the idiotic comment, "Hey, if they wait 18 more minutes, it will have been an hour!" They waited 18 more minutes.

Dr. Shulman came in and gave a play by play of what to expect before, during and after surgery. I'm not terribly excited about the whole thing, and neither is Mel. Obviously it's necessary, important and life-saving. At the same time it's inconvenient, sucky and nerve-wracking. As the day of surgery gets closer, I can tell Mel is more and more anxious. I can't imagine the anticipation of something so invasive to look forward to. She's strong, and I know everything will turn out for the best, but I ache for her. I wish I could do it for her. But the doctor assures me that's impossible.

So, with one week to go, Melisa is working more than ever in preparation for the time off she needs to take. All three kids are starting school this week. My business is officially moved and opens tomorrow. And everything seems to be falling into place. God has a plan. I'm still trying to figure out what it is. But we're here for the ride and we'll see where it takes us. As we take the time to be still, and listen, we'll figure where that is and be better off for it.

______________________________________________________

* Think beef gravy on toast, but weirder and yummier somehow.

** Fake bacon made out of ??

4 comments:

Kem said...

My mom sent this to me today. I typically think these things are hokey. But, today, well, today...not so much.

What cancer CANNOT do.....

* It cannot invade the soul
* suppress memories
* kill friendship
* destroy peace
* conquer the spirit
* shatter hope
* cripple love
* corrode faith
* steal eternal life
* silence courage

Mel said...

I took note of all those people too. And the young mom with 6 month old twins. I bet she was shopping for a tummy tuck. At least everyone looked pretty healthy - not like the waiting room at the general surgeon's office where people had oxygen and catheters hanging off their extra-wide wheelchairs. Funny, I work with sick people all the time... why am I so queasy in the waiting room?

Diane said...

Mel, you and your family are an inspiration to all of us at Memorial Home Care. Your inner and spiritual strength, committment to one another, and overall peace shows through in all that you do. This blog is great. I hope you will allow some of Mel's friends to come by and do some cleaning/laundry, etc., as that is our way of showing our feelings for Mel. All of you are in my thoughts and prayers.

Libby said...

Melisa now is the time to take time for yourself and do some much needed rest as you are always on the go and doing for other people. You have great courage and strength and love surrounding you and your family. I have had the privilage to know you for several years now and I admire your determination in all aspects of your life. You are thought of often and I hope you know you can count on so many people here at Regional for anything you or your family needs. I know it's not easy to ask for help espeically when you are use to doing everything yourself but during this time, put your pride away and let others help you. I know Scott will be overwhelmed in the days and weeks to come so use your resources and take the time for Mel. Much love and support to you!
Libby-Regional Home Health Care