Wednesday, September 12, 2007

September 12, 2007 - Paper Cuts

I got a paper cut one time. Right on the end of my finger. All of a sudden everything I did involved using that finger. It was constantly in the way, burning, aching and throbbing. I was miserable and irritated that something so insignificant could have such a big impact on my daily life. Now, as I see what Melisa is dealing with, it makes the little things seem inconsequential. A lot of petty irritations that were affecting my life a week ago don't carry as much weight anymore.

My problems diminish in importance when I see how much it hurts my wife just to blink. She's dealing with things like taking 20 minutes to go to the bathroom (the bathroom is 5 feet away), which is something that would normally take 30 seconds. It is going to be a lengthy journey to recovery, but I can already see improvements.

This evening, bathroom trips are taking about 3 minutes with minimal walking assistance. Mel is getting past the 1000 mark on the little breathing doohickey thingamajigabobber (last night she was just barely past 0). She's down to pain pills every four hours instead of IV every two. She's much more alert when she's awake, and she seems in good spirits.

They are keeping her overnight again. Dr. Shulman is supposed to be back tomorrow around noon to see how she's doing and probably release her. I actually feel like tomorrow she'll be ready. She looks great and it's encouraging to see her in a good mood. Having the pain manageable has made a huge difference.

Claudia wrote us a neat email today. She pointed out that the worst is over. Melisa is cancer free! Now we can focus on healing, celebrating and moving on. I like that. Especially the celebrating part.

I'll talk to you later on. Probably after I get Melisa home tomorrow. In the mean time, thank you again. I'm staggered by the way you love us and are taking care of us. From our family, to our friends, to people I hardly know. It blows me away that even though you have your own challenges and lives to deal with, you're taking the time and making the effort to be a part of ours. I'm glad no one else is in the room right now and Melisa is sleeping, because it makes me cry just thinking about it. I don't know how else to tell you. Thank you.

No comments: