Monday, August 20, 2007

August 20, 2007 - Ribbons


Ribbons. I've never been crazy about them. Sure, I like the ones you weave in your hair and the one tied around the old oak tree. I'm talking about the infestation of ribbons plastered all over our country. Vehicles, antennae, shirts, etc. etc. etc. I don't relate.

I've never been in a group that had a ribbon and I don't think of my car as a billboard for all things important. I don't have fuzzy dice. My honor student didn't beat up your honor student. And I don't have to Visualize Whirled Peas if I don't want to. When I feel strongly about something, I engage in conversation with someone. Someone who knows me. Or I post it on a blog so I can get it out of my system. You're welcome.

I guess I've always felt like the people exhibiting their ribbons were doing it for attention or a need to feel like they belonged to a worthy cause. I'm not one to wear my emotions on my sleeve, my antenna or my bumper. Like I said, I've never been in a group that had a ribbon. Until now.

Perspective is an interesting thing. I'm amazed how my strong opinions can be changed in a heart-beat. What I realize is that most people aren't decorating their lives with ribbons for the reasons I thought. It's more of a camaraderie thing. Just a little something to say, "Hey, I've been there. I feel your pain. If we were walking down the street, I'd high-five you and give you the secret ribbon handshake." It feels good to belong to a club. To know that we're in it together. Kind of like wearing a Cubs hat.

I haven't completely changed. I'm still not going to get a ticket speeding my way to the ribbon store. But at least now I understand. I feel the love. And it's good.

No comments: