Saturday, August 11, 2007

August 11, 2007 - Touchy Feely

I don't know what the deal is. When we finally have a weekend at home with nothing scheduled, we somehow manage to fill it with important things besides west and welaxation. This weekend has been great. We're away from home, so the temptation/obligation to be productive is much less because the normal everyday stuff is so far away. It's kind of nice having an excuse to just relax.

Recently I've been thinking a lot about cancer and it's affects on Mel and our family. This whole experience has been (and will continue to be) an adjustment from our previous life. I guess it's just not in the way I expected. I presumed the most stressful things would be of a physical nature for Melisa, like surgery, cancer, nipples, treatment, etc, etc, etc. But so far what I find most affected are things like attitude, schedule and money.

I can see how people run into problems in their family when they are dealing with trauma. It's probably not even the trauma that's the problem. It's all the other stuff. Luckily for me, I have an incredible wife who's communicative, understanding, and supportive of me while I'm dealing with this whole traumatic experience of her having cancer! She's hard to read, so I'm constantly investigating to make sure she's okay. I hope I'm as comforting and compassionate to her as she is to me.

Don't gripe. I told you yesterday that I'd be more touchy feely today. Now that that's out of my system, I should be back to normal by Monday. But I'm not promising anything.

1 comment:

Mark Meyer said...

I think you hit it on the head, I know for Kem and I in our toughest times, it never seemed like the "issue" itself caused the friction (because we were united against it), however, all the other "stuff" in life was elevated and brought out the stress. Let us know how we can help- We all need someone to lean on, cause you might have a trouble, that we'd understand, sometimes in our life, we all have pain, we all have sorrow, but, if we are wise, we know that there's, always tomorrow... someone should write a song.... Mark "Lovin Touchin' Squeezin'" Meyer