Friday, August 10, 2007

August 10, 2007 - The Nipples

Here we are in PA, spending the weekend with my in-laws who are in the process of moving to CA in a couple of weeks. On Sunday we're planning to abscond with a truck and trailer full of their previous possessions. Turns out, one person's treasure is also another person's treasure. Thanks to their generosity, we're getting a new couch (our old one SUCKED) and Naomi finally gets a real bed. Anyway, everyone just went for a walk so I have a few minutes to put some thoughts down.

First I just wanted to say thank you again to everyone! You've been so caring and supportive, and we appreciate all the calls, notes, prayers and emails. Please feel free to forward this blog to whomever you think would enjoy it or benefit from it. The settings are changed now, so anyone can view it without having to register or sign in. Just send them to http://cancershmancer.blogspot.com/ .

Yesterday, August 9, Mel met with the Plastic Surgeon, Dr. Shulman (pronounced Shoe Man). I was bummed I wasn't able to go with her. This was the meeting where we were to find out the fate of The Nipples. Instead, I got to receive the info second hand from Mel, who gets queasy discussing the subject. Luckily we had an 8 hour drive to talk, so I was able to extract all the info I needed to get an understanding of what to expect in the next weeks and months.

Here is the order of events according to me:
  1. Surgery around the end of this month. Bilateral mastectomy (means both sides) with immediate reconstruction. Dr. Poulin and Dr. Shulman will work together to remove the breast tissue and implant the tissue expanders. As it looks now, they will not need to do any skin, muscle, or tissue grafts.
  2. Unfortunately, she will not wake up with C cups. The tissue expanders start out small. Every week or so Mel will go in to see the plastic surgeon and have saline added to the expanders. This process goes on for 6 to 8 months until her breasts are the size I want. OK. Fine. Until her breasts are the size she wants. Basically, it gives the skin time to stretch out naturally. Kind of like getting braces.
  3. When her breasts have reached perfection, she says "When" and the saline injections stop. She undergoes surgery one last time and they swap the saline implants for silicone ones. They tell me it's much more natural looking and feeling. I'll keep you posted on that.

What I've been wondering, and everyone has been asking, "What about The Nipples??" We (meaning me) are already lamenting their loss. Yes, they will be permanently removed. The tubes that deliver milk to the nipple have to be removed. Consequently the nipples have to be removed. Nipples are important, but they lose their significance when you compare them to life.

For those of you who want to know, here's the procedure for reconstruction of The Nipples. During the initial surgery, they take a <> shaped strip of skin (at about a 45 degree angle) from the front of each breast, including the nipple, which allows access for surgery. Then, at the final surgery The Nipples are reconstructed. The plastic surgeon forms a nipple out of skin, and then tattoos the nipple and areola to make them look authentic. I haven't met the plastic surgeon, but when I do I'm going to ask if she can make Happy Faces instead. Mel said she doesn't mind. I haven't seen what it will look like the "proper" way, but if it's totally fakey I might have a case for Happy Faces. We'll see. (That's Mom language for, "Never gonna happen.")

Have you heard the word "Nipple" enough for one day? Nipple, nipple, nipple. There, now we can move on. Oops! I lost my train of thought. I guess this is long enough for now. That's the info, the scoop, the facts as I know them. Tomorrow I'm planning to be much more touchy feely.

No comments: