Sunday, September 18, 2011

September 19 - Favorite Author?

"Life's too short to read the same book twice."

I mean really, with so many intriguing, inspiring options out there, why would anyone want to stagnate on repeat and rewind. (Except the Bible, of course. That book tells me more every single time I pick it up! Guess "the living Word of God" thing is pretty literal.) Anyway, that's my operating principle, until the day I discovered some stories become instant favorites that feel like coming home. You know those stories you melt into, becoming a different character in every scene? Those stories that draw you in, that you read fast-slow because you can't wait till the conclusion but you never want to end?

For me, this happened about 6 months ago when I was introduced to Christopher Moore. I accidentally started at the end of a trilogy with an audiobook called Bite Me. Charming, hunh? I haven't been able to stop devouring his stuff ever since! Somehow it's just the right amount of sarcasm, science, faith, geography, sex - and sooo funny! Fortunately for me, he has 12 novels out so far, and more in the works. While wit is a consistent theme, I have yet to feel bogged down by formulaic storyline.

Disclaimer: while well-researched and smart, these are probably not for higher-plain, snobby types. Not quite chick-lit, they still follow a characters-based story-line and include things like accidental vampires and Jesus' childhood buddy.


So I still have trouble saying I have only one favorite, not wanting to commit when I enjoy whatever is coming up next. However, this is one author that definitely makes my top 10 list!

No comments: