Tuesday, October 4, 2011

October - Breast Cancer Awareness

It's October already! (My favorite time of year, having nothing to do with pink.) In honor of what started this blog in the first place about 4 years ago, I thought I should mention National Breast Cancer Awareness month.

I'm quietly passionate about this cause. I suppose this is understandable since I've walked a bit of the road, but now it's more about what I see in others. I freakin' HATE cancer! I have two patients right now that should be living lovely, productive lives but are completely bowled over by the daily ravages of this wretched, metastatic disease. I ache for them and their families and soooo wish the disease had been caught sooner.

So. Self-checks are not a joke, no matter how many guys-who-think-they're-hilarious wear suggestive t-shirts. And self-checks for men matter too, 'cause I personally know two males in this area who have been diagnosed in the last year.

Beyond self-care, here's something everyone can do to easily support the cause: click on the Breast Cancer Site link to fund mammograms for others. Each day you can click the box. I'm a facebook fan, so when I see the name come up on my news feed, two clicks completes the job.

Here's to hoping this note finds you all happy & healthy, but willing to check - just in case. Find out more details here.

No comments: