Wednesday, March 30, 2011

March 30 - War Dances Audiobk Review

I should never read the jacket reviews before writing my own thoughts. Those guys sound all enlightened and brilliant and stuff. Aside from directly copying and pasting their wisdom, now all I can think of is, "I really liked it."

The writing was gritty, vulgar at times but never totally inappropriate, and insightful as it explored the inner lives of men on the brink of change or self-realization. The author narrated seamlessly in accents from white middle-class American to obviously Native American, lending authenticity and an almost auto-biographical tone to the stories. I about fell over when he asked, dead-pan, if an Indian dying of alcoholism and diabetes would be considered "natural causes".


So unless you're offended by exploration of racial differences and inequities, or the occasional f-bomb, I'd definitely recommend this collection of short stories.

No comments: