Wednesday, March 2, 2011

March 2 - Sickies

Today's fun adventure: trying to determine if Naomi's constant complaints of stomach aches and teariness over getting ready for school are related to an actual germ or some other phenomena. She does really well in school, likes her teacher, does all her work in advance, and seems to get along with the other kids. So why does she get up crying at 4 A.M., sobbing that she can't possibly go to school, she's too sick!?
This morning I spent quite a bit of time in scientific diagnosis mode. Throat clear, tummy non-tender, warm but not too dry skin. Of course the 2 ear thermometers need batteries. The forehead strip is non-functional. Finally located a giant old-fashioned mercury thermometer - that reads Celcius. So afer I looked up the conversion online, it seemed she was running around 99.2 temp. Borderline. Sigh. And I already had patients scheduled today. We made a deal: try to make it through 10 A.M.

By 11, the nurse called. Third time in the last month her school has called me to pick her up. (Bad mommy?) She practically skipped to the car. "I already had a nap, Mama."

She ate her lunch, and is happily tucked in front of the TV now. Is it possible my little princess manufactures fevers so she can lay on the couch and watch movies all day? She has been begging for a Chicken Run/Wallace & Grommit marathon all week. I'm suspicious.

Then again, I've had a headache for 4 days straight, so maybe there's just something out of kilter in the neighborhood.

No comments: