Wednesday, November 24, 2010

November 24 - Looking Ahead

Last night was busy on all fronts. Dale took Skyler to Cub Scouts, and I took the other two for some non-crowded, pre-Black-Friday-but-the-discounts-still-apply mall shopping. While we were still out sniffing new computer smell (we have an Apple Store now!), Dale came home. I'm the one lucky enough to park in the garage, so he always has to get out and work the keypad. In the midst of that, a van pulled into the drive and a young man hopped out, hocking "The Ultimate Carpet Cleaner".

It was 8:45PM, and very dark. He said something along the lines of, "We can knock till 9, and if I can just get in to look at your carpet this could change your life." Funny how experience makes what would have once been annoying feel downright threatening. Dale promptly informed him this was inappropriate and asked him to leave.

I'm pretty sure all his hackles were up, because he got rather tense just relating the story when we returned home. Which made me mentally flash forward about 30 years. Here's what I'm picturing: two old people in rocking chairs on the porch, loaded shotguns on our laps, keeping watch with scowling faces. In a gravelly, Clint Eastwood voice, "Dang people - get off my land!"

If this happens to me, please intervene! Seriously, how hard can it be to disarm a 70 year old?!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I found in my line of work that I too, have little tolerance for door-to-door pitchmen, legitimate or not. Even people just knocking on the door arouse my suspicion. I've answered the door with a less than friendly demeanor nearly every time.

Why?

Safety. Burglaries I have found in my experience are usually not that random. In that an area is typically scouted in some manner for a short time before. A wise burglar looks for clues that surround the house.. new TV box purchase- set out at trash. Or knocking on the door asking to use phone, or asking if ____ is there. Obviously no answer in the middle of the day can be a good sign to come back later. Or hearing dogs barking in absence of a person home.

I encourage people to err on the side of caution, and in fact to be less than friendly towards strangers on your property. I struggle with that as a Christian called to love and help others, but my self protection and of my family over-rides that, when you are on my personal space.

It makes good sense. Good post!

dale said...

I was working in the garage - had a screwdriver in one hand and a flash light in the other, and I'm pretty sure I was putting out the "if this one doesn't knock you with one hit, this other one will" vibe.

As a salesperson, I could never a) go door to door or b)do so at 8:45pm and ask to go inside someone's home unsolicited. Craziness...

Arin said...

I was at my sister's on Monday night and this happened. It was probably 7 pm, but very, very dark. And the guy was like yelling, whoopin' it up on his way to the door, like he was a friend or something. Very, very weird. And edwardkoczan, my hubs has the same job. I NEVER answer the door if he's not home. Unfortunately, life (job) experiences DO change you. Good or bad.