Wednesday, November 10, 2010

November 10 - Still Spooked

Last Wednesday, after volunteering in Skyler's classroom & treating a couple patients in town, I stopped home to use the bathroom between patients. And walked in to a very scary disaster. Every door was open: cupboards, drawers, basement, front door, back door. Every light was on. I thought, "Who had a chance to come home this morning & why on earth would they leave everything open?!" Then, "Oh crap!!!" I grabbed the dog, the phone & ran!

The last week has been a whirlwind of already scheduled really important stuff like Skyler's 8th birthday and the AND conference and my dad visiting from Delaware. Plus hours and hours of clean up, financial and identity protection, police follow up. Ugh! My fantastic husband actually describes the first impact perfectly here.

We're still kinda freaked out. We lost a lot of "just stuff", like computers and cameras, and some irreplaceables, like all the digital photos and journaling from the last 2 years. Painful.

But certainly not the end of the world. Here's my take-away: security is an illusion. All the "stuff", even our family members and pets, is God's anyway. While it is smart to steward well the blessings we're given, ultimately we don't control them. This week I'm working on surrendering with grace. It's not my favorite. I'm not good at it. But I am God's child and I believe in His plan.

1 comment:

Sylvia Escobar said...

Yikes! So sorry to hear about this. Did they ever get any leads? It does leave you feeling so violated!