Monday, March 23, 2009

March 23 - It's Maple Syrup Time!

Yesterday, the kids and I enjoyed Sugar Camp Days at Bendix Woods County Park. I value nature and developing an understanding of where our resources come from, so this kind of stuff is always fun for me. I plan to take field trips like a 1st grader for the rest of my life.

The kids weren't too sure at first. However, once we were stuffed with pancakes and fresh maple syrup they perked up.

We learned about multiple syrup-making methods over the years. Boil and boil and boil and boil it all day long! Did you know it takes 40 gallons of sugar maple sap to make one gallon of syrup?

We also hiked around the park, took a wagon ride behind 2 ton (literally!) horses, and sampled crafts and maple goodies.

What a beautiful way to spend Sunday morning!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm jealous of a great morning with the kids. I really wish I would have gone too!
You're a great mom for thinking of these things, and taking the time to field trip it like a 1st grader.
xo

Lynette said...

What a beautiful family..The kids are lucky to have a great Mom like you. Keep trusting yourself!

Sylvia Escobar said...

As you can see--I'm a little behind the times, but . . . I couldn't help but be envious of your field trip. Especially when maple candy is one of my most favorite things. I could eat them every day--if they weren't so dang expense and my teeth could handle all the sugar! Way to go, Mom! Wish we lived closer and could join you on your field trips, as nature is one of my favorite things to study too!