Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Book Review - When You've Been Wronged

This quick read (which I still managed to drag over 2 weeks) features a lot of Biblical examples of bitterness and forgiveness, which is great. However, it tends to use church-speak, which my brain automatically shuts out, so I had trouble finding a practical application for the information.

What I was looking for were practical action steps to speed up the whole getting over Scott thing, and what I got was a lot of "let go and let God". I already knew it was a bad idea to harbor bitterness, seek revenge, poison my soul, etc. Where I get stuck is when I still feel angry, hurt, betrayed, and mourn the loss of my love and my family.


The book says the ultimate goal is reconciliation; the best I can ever hope for is partial reconciliation because "trust and respect have been so seriously eroded that there cannot be any real in-depth friendship." Sad.
And apparently I will get there by (1) speaking words of blessing about Scott, (2) feeling the emotions he's experiencing (none?), and (3) acting in a way to promote harmony. Sounds tough, but I'm a tough girl, and the result will be worth it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Let Go and Let God...gotta love it. Glad to hear your honest thoughts about this book