Friday, August 29, 2008

Book Review - The Last Lecture

I'm often late to jump on the bandwagon because I don't really watch TV or keep up with pop culture. Plus I usually refuse to follow the crowd. However, sometimes the crowd gathers for a good reason.

There are probably already a million reviews of this book by Randy Pausch, and you can actually watch his hour long talk Really Achieving Your Childhood Dreams on YouTube from last fall. The book was written afterwards, designed to pass along to his three children, who became father-less when he passed away last month from metastatic cancer. His legacy focuses on "the importance of overcoming obstacles, enabling the dreams of others, and seizing every moment" to truly live in the time we are each given.

Two of my favorite quotes are:
- Complaining is NOT a workable strategy.
- Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.

I wouldn't say I agree with or relate to everything, but there are definitely some gems in this story. If you haven't already, this one is worth perusing.




No comments: