Saturday, August 23, 2008

August 24 - Why it SUCKS to be a Single Parent

It's not so much the normal logistical stuff you'd think of, like it being ALL ME to get everybody ready and where they're supposed to be on time with the proper equipment, outfit, sharing item, permission slip, etc.

What makes this so difficult is when they turn against you. This is inevitable, this is normal childhood. "You don't love me because you won't let me watch TV." "I hate you! " "You never do anything I want to do." "I want my daddy!"

There's no team, no one on the home front that has my back. No one to help objectively view a situation and stick up for the one adult player. Sure, I have friends in the community that love me and my kids, but they're not really around enough to be role models or reinforce anything consistently. Sure, I take them to church where they are taught to honor their mother and father. And my family certainly loves us all, but they're so far away.
I'm not saying I'm hopeless or helpless, just that it's painfully hard.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's amazing how quickly kids emotions can sway. I know when Rob is gone for extended periods of time, the girls tend to do this even more. I am so sorry you have to do this alone. It is no fun. I know you are not feeling sorry for yourself, it's just a reality of where you are and where they are. You are a great Mom. Don't let them make you belive any different! Just today Belle told me, "you are a very mean Mom." because I wouldn't let her go to her friends' house. :) Kids are weird.