Thursday, January 24, 2008

January 25 - Case Management?

Grrr. The insurance game is tricky. Right before Christmas, I got a letter from Meritain Insurance saying they reviewed the charges and need more information about the "accidental injury". They turned the case over to another company for review, and are looking to pursue outside payors for treatment needed because of someone else's mistake.

They did not specify which treatment was in question, but the dates they provided only match the wound care center stuff. I wrote back that this was related to a delay in healing of surgical wounds which were created on purpose by skilled physicians with insurance preapproval. (Thinking in my head: "Sure, dealing with wounds 4 months after surgery isn't ideal, but I don't think anyone has been negligent. Sometimes crap happens.")

Then last week they sent a short form - no envelope, no return address - with checkboxes: Did the injury occur at work? Was the injury related to an auto accident? If not, where did it occur and why? "Please return this for ASAP to prevent possible delays in future payment."

What?! I called my nurse case-manager at Meritain. She didn't know what was up but recommended I send back the form. I hope that will be enough. I hope they pay these people, or it's $1000/month out of my pocket for my weekly visit to Christine.

1 comment:

Lara Barrett said...

Just tell your insurance company that you accidentally got cancer at work, and then got your boobs cut off in a car accident!