Saturday, October 6, 2007

October 6 - Occupational advantages

Why working in a rehab profession helps recovering from major surgery make more sense:

1. I only pick my own doctors based on if they are supportive of therapy and have responded to my professional requests within a reasonable time in the past.

2. I already know the anatomy and physiology - although I had forgotten how closely tied the tummy muscles and chest muscles work together to, say, get out of bed.

3. I already know that if it hurts if you don't move and it hurts if you do move, you might as well move it sista!

4. Working with occupational therapists has given me cool toys like a long-handled pink scrubby thing. It's the only way to reach my own back in the shower at this point, which still involves some awkward yoga-like positioning.

5. I know the difference between staples and stitches. Although at the moment I'm not thrilled with the 3 inches of thick, poky, blue fishing line sticking out of either end of the incisions.

6. I also know that, while it makes me a little queasy to think about, next Tuesday when they yank those pull-cords out, my chest will not flop open like sushi souffle.

7. Painting your nails becomes a functional activity, including sustained stretching of nerves and muscles (Ouch!), an endurance test (who has time for this on a regular basis?!) and energy conservation training (I think I need a nap now).

8. I work in a caring profession, with lots of wonderful, empathetic and supportive people. They've watched people recovering for years, and are good at reminding what to expect and when to slow down. Thanks all!

I'm going to lie down now... Mel

2 comments:

Lara Barrett said...

If I were there I would paint you nails for you! Well, er..., let's be realistic. If I were there, I would take you to the salon to get your nails done!

~two~ said...

sushi souffle?