Wednesday, October 17, 2007

October 17 - "Vacation" is Over

I guess my first clue should have been when Naomi came straight downstairs at 5 in the morning to "snuggle with Mommy" two days in a row last week. Skyler was next, coming straight to me for help going to the bathroom at 6AM. For those who don't know my home layout, I have been sleeping on a spare bed crammed in an unfinished storage room in the basement since surgery. I normally sleep with Scott in a second floor loft room, and the kids share a room on the main floor. I moved downstairs because of the multiple nightly visits we get from small people with sharp elbows and wiggly knees. Scott's a heavy sleeper, so I'm usually the nighttime/early morning parent.

I also had my first day back to work yesterday after a long morning at the doctor. Actually, Dr. Shulman's visit was pretty short. She took one look at my chest and wrote an order to be seen that morning by the wound care team at the hospital. Then I spent the next 25 minutes trying to complete my legal medical leave paper work correctly with her staff. The wound care physical therapist was very kind, using local lidocaine to decrease the pain before digging. She also switched the types of dressings to poly-mem foam and gauze, which she is scheduled to change 2-3xwk. Yea! No more twice daily blubbering sessions in front of the mirror with a butter knife.
This does set the healing process back quite a bit, because it may be a month or more before the wounds close, and we don't want to put more stress on the area by adding any more saline till after that. So I'm looking at probably 4 more months of light duty (office work vs. physical therapy) and at least weekly doctors visits. Sigh...

I'm disappointed in the delayed healing and how I didn't get anything productive or amazingly fun done at home in the five weeks I've been off. Seems like such a waste of paid time off! I would have rather gone to Hawaii. It would have been cheaper too. (I'm not even getting started on the medical bills rolling in daily!)

Well, back to the old grind.

No comments: