Tuesday, October 23, 2007

October 23 - Surgery scars

Thought everyone might be getting tired of the word "wounds", although the surgery areas aren't really closed yet. However, I wanted to write down a few thoughts since this is still the major medical concern.

Most importantly, things are healing up nicely considering the depth and yuckiness from two weeks ago. My P.T., Christine, estimates it will still probably be a couple months before we have full re-epitheliazation (new closed skin) and real scars. I am so thankful for my co-worker and friend, Rose, who took her day off and a debridement kit to come assess the situation initially at my home on October 12th. She helped really get things on the right track.

I continue to be very pleased with my care team. Dr. Shulman messes up some of my pre-conceived ideas about plastic surgeons. First of all, they're not all in it for the big bucks. (Although I'm sure she's doing well supporting her stay-at-home husband and young child.) She is committed to providing practical and compassionate care. Also, they don't all look like Barbie or McSteamy. Check out this link for a quick peek and her references: http://www.plasticsurgerycenter.net/credentials_shulman.html.
I'd recommend her to anyone.

I continue to be thankful for all my co-workers. They are making the transition back to regular working hours - i.e. no naps - easier by bringing in family dinners to take home on work days. Last week Ame made a full Thanksgiving feast, Judy made the best chicken soup ever and brownies, and last night Sharon G. made a yummy steak and potatoes supper complete with homemade apple pie and ice cream.

The best part of being back to work is feeling a little more productive. The worst part is how tired and achy I still am. Even with frequent task and position changes, I was never cut out for office work.

But today is my day off. So I think I'll take that afternoon nap.

No comments: