Monday, May 31, 2010

May 31 - Patriotism & Choices

I have decided it is a family tradition to take my children to the Edwardsburg Memorial Day Parade every year. It's usually sticky and hot. It's not about amazing showmanship or expensive floating balloons (although the marching band busted out some choreography). Instead, we gather as a small town community, greet classmates and neighbors and patients I've treated, and honor those who have fought for our country and liberty.
I'm not sure that means much to people these days. I am sure I can't fully understand the gravity of others' sacrifice. But I do know that after living overseas for a year, I literally wanted to kiss the asphalt of the La Guardia airport in New York when we returned home. I do know that many, many people simply don't have the blessings or choices we do here in the United States.

Recently, Granger Community Church featured a story about Monjue, a young Indian girl who felt she had no choices at all. This story marked me. (Check it out here since I can't figure out how to embed the actual link.) So many things in our lives today are easy to take for granted.
Today, as the Edwardsburg High School Band played the Star Spangled Banner, and I made the kids stand up and salute, I was moved to tears. I hope this family tradition reminds my kids a little of how blessed we are to live here, now, together. I hope that patriotism is a value that sticks.

No comments: