Monday, May 11, 2009

Book Review - Sex God

"Exploring the endless connections between sexuality and spirituality", this book was recommended reading during the recent Sex for Sale series at my church. I hesitate to write about this issue because I don't want to be judged and I'm still working out how I feel about sexuality and desire and boundaries and, well, pretty much everything in life. But I found the perspective from this book helpful in the journey. I like this description: it's the story of God becoming human, of humans mirroring God, and love made manifest in the messiness of our humanity.

Yep. It's messy all right. Some days I'm angry for being designed with these desires and drives at all. Some days I'm angry with Scott for leaving me without a healthy, safe outlet for expressing them. (Hel-lo. Mid-thirties female. I'm like an 18 year old boy, just with the added responsibility of being a soon-to-be divorced working mom of three. Ugh!)

It does give me an opportunity to value sensuality as an aspect of human interaction and multi-dimensionality in daily life, not just the mechanics of fitting body parts together. We are incredibly and wonderfully made! I hope I can remember that if, well, "push comes to shove" as it were.

No comments: