Sunday, January 18, 2009

Book Review - Literacy & Longing in L.A.

I am SO proud. I actually finished a book, purely for entertainment, and it only took me a weekend!

I read, but am not necessarily "well read", so I didn't follow all of the literary references that were featured in the book (9 page single-spaced book list at the back). I did, however, relate to the thirty-something divorcée life outlook. Minus alimony/investment portfolio, plus three kids, but whatever.

Most fun for me was that I was reading this to and from my own visit to L.A., so all the place and cultural references were relevant. And the bibliophile protagonist, Dora, grew up going on family field trips to authors' homes. Kind of poetic.


Literacy and Longing in L.A. is written by Jennifer Kaufman and Karen Mack, published by Delacorte Press, 2006, 325 pages.

No comments: