Wednesday, February 6, 2008

February 5 - Support Networks

My mom and sister have been visiting and recently returned to rainy southern California. They were fun to have around and a great help, especially since Scott was out of town for a week.

Mom and I had several frank discussions about breast shape, scar tissue and plastic surgery. I started to think more about her experience 5+ years ago. I think I wasn't nearly supportive enough. I guess I'm not naturally sympathetic and always figured "of course she'll be fine". She's my mom, she's indestructable.


But she didn't have many close friends - fewer then compared to now. She didn't have a job network of professional caregiver associates. Her dad was deceased and her mom had advanced Alzheimers. Her sisters were distant. She didn't have my dad at that point anymore, being recently divorced.


Thank God for Charlie, who was dating her when she was diagnosed. He has been her loving support ever since then. I'm thankful that he has become a part of all of our lives. I'm also thankful for all the wonderful care and help I have had through this whole process.


Thank God for all of you - for not making me go it alone.

1 comment:

Lara Barrett said...

Yup, Mom's amazing. I could have been WAY more supportive during that time in her life. I'm with you, I tend to think she's indestructible!

God knows the two of you give me all you can when I'm freaking out about, well, everything. I hope I can be there for you, too, by offering love and support whether y'all need it or not!