Monday, May 16, 2011

May 8 - Mother's are Special

My mom and Charlie visited us over the last week, so we got to celebrate Mother's Day honoring each other, which was pretty fabulous. Especially since my kids couldn't care less about the Hallmark holiday, at least not beyond the required school craft project delivered in staple-happy style.

(Side note: this in no way reflects on Dale, who I overheard trying to coach and inspire them for weeks into honorific attitudes. And who bought me an awesome Kindle with a pretty pink cover. Thanks, Love!)


Mostly, I just wanted to take the time to be thankful for my mom. I am so incredibly lucky to a) still have her around, b) still enjoy her company, and c) still have her expertise framing the domestic side of my life. No one starts projects and directs furniture moving quite like my mother, who seems to thrive on change (definitely more than me) and pursuit of aesthetic variability indoors and out. Thank you for everything, Mom - I love you!

We had a lovely time together. I wish cross-country travel hadn't gotten so ridiculous. Michigan to California is no longer a bi-annual option for this family of five (sometimes six). We'll just have to treasure the time when we get it. I hope all of you had amazing mother's day celebrations too!

No comments: