Tuesday, December 7, 2010

December 7 - Snow Day!

Woke up to over a foot of snow covering the world and cancelled plans (school, therefore work). It's like a little gift of breathing room except for the trickiness of patient and co-worker expectations.
Here's what NOT to do on a snow day: try to be productive outside the house. I was able to re-schedule most things, but I had one local guy who needed a quick evaluation, so I tucked the kids in with snacks and thought I'd run over there. Except it's a snow day for a reason.

I eased out of our driveway, but promptly slid off a few miles down the road. Like, totally stuck in a country drive with only a sickly woman and an infant close by. After over an hour of shoveling, hacking at ice, rocking back & forth in the van, shoveling more, the woman called her boyfriend who sent a guy with a strap & a truck. It still took 20 minutes of doe-si-doe with the pick-up, but whew! We made it out.

My charming husband called about then to tell me the roads didn't seem too bad this morning. Right. Unless, of course, you have to stop. Or turn around. Or pass someone. Other than that you're good to go!

So rather than blaspheming the beauty of a snow day, I'm repenting and tucking in for the day. Here's a better plan:
Please excuse me, now I need to go make hot chocolate...

No comments: