Thursday, October 7, 2010

October 7 - Pink Ladies Club

Dale & I attended the 3rd Annual Susan G. Komen for the Cure breast cancer survivors' luncheon today in Mishawaka. It was a lovely affair, with festive flowers & pink balloons & loads of pretty door prizes. One of the local oncologists spoke briefly about his professional motivation. Several local leaders stated their support, and a sanguine survivor shared her moving & amusing tale.
So it was nice & inspirational & stuff but I find myself wondering why being there made me feel completely off kilter. In fairness, the night before D & I were out till 3AM (Muse is AMAZING!) & my work morning didn't go as smoothly as planned. Still, I sat at the edge of a crowd of women & family members who have made it through a journey similar to mine, & I felt completely out of place.
I don't think I'm part of the club. My breast cancer experience seems so minimal compared to other stories. I don't feel like "a survivor". Ladies cheer for each other and speak of the sisterhood we share, the immediate bond. I figure I'm just broken because I don't get it. Yes, I understand all the lingo. Yes, I'm interested in their stories. Yes, I can discuss surgery options and side effects. Yes, I've known several who have fought the good fight but still passed on.

But instead of feeling connected, I just get grumpy & sad. Even though pink is one of my favorite colors!

No comments: