Wednesday, April 29, 2009

April 29 - Race for the Cure

Last Sunday I had the opportunity to participate in a community event and my first real run ever: the 1st Annual Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure along the Mishawaka riverfront. I was extraordinarily impressed!

The set up was a great tribute to a cause close to my heart (literally!). Between the vendors and volunteers, we had plenty of motivation, snacks, and lots of fun people to watch. It included a 5K race, or walk, or stroll - pick your pace. Everyone from professional local runners to women in wheelchairs with pink capes and dogs participated. It was so fun to watch the families and friends cheer each other on.

I jog-walked with a couple of girlfriends from work (GO Angie & Sarah!), and I'm pretty pleased with my time for a beginner: 36.32 minutes! Maybe if I actually started training this could be a regular gig.


Now I just have to get the kids excited about it too. They were good sports, hanging out and playing while Mommy stretched, sweated and sighed. Maybe the dozen Krispy Kremes helped.

3 comments:

Arin said...

Go Mel!! You ARE a survivor!!

lara said...

Gooooooo Mel! I'm so proud of you.

Sylvia Escobar said...

You should so be a runner! My husband will be proud of you, although if you talk to him, he'll try to convince you to go for a triathlon or marathon next, and forget the "little stuff." I must say, even as a non-runner myself, the "race atmosphere" is pretty cool and rather addicting. So watch out!