Friday, December 28, 2007

December 28 - Just freaky

I saw the wound care therapist and Dr. Shulman again yesterday. The left (cancer) side is closing up, although there are two small spots that look tenuous. I was pleased to see the general roundness of the central scar; I bet she can make that into a resonably normal areola shape.

The right (supposedly healthy) side is not cooperating. Actually, it's smaller than last week and the skin around the edges doesn't look so much like you can just wipe it off. However, it's still bleeding a fair bit, and I have to change the dressing about every other day.

I reported how I found a dent I could fit my pinkie into in the left breast over the weekend. I can still feel it, but it's not so externally noticeable now. I was freaking out when I found it, so I had Scott look at it. I thought I had popped something and it was leaking all the fluid out. He was wonderfully reassuring for about five minutes before he had to sit with his head between his knees and try not to hyperventilate or pass out.

Anyway, the doctor says it's just the scar tissue binding down on the tissue expander inside. She thinks there will be a lot more scarring on the inside (and obviously outside) because of the wound healing delay. She's hopeful this is temporary, but has no idea how long "temporary" is at this point.

Now I will go practice my own deep breathing and try not to think about foreign objects under the skin and bloody wounds.

1 comment:

Lara Barrett said...

Well, the marathon of SLOW healing continues. Did Mom tell you about how cousin Kerri also struggled to heal after breast surgery? Damn genes.