Monday, January 31, 2011

February 1 - Must You Go Audiobook Review

A memoir based on Antonia Fraser's diary entries over more than 30 years, this book both charmed and bothered me. I picked it up at random from the local library, not really knowing anything about the extensive professional lives of the two protagonists. I still cannot say I know much of their combined mass of published work, but apparently she is a famous author of both historical biographies and fiction, and Harold Pinter was a playwright superstar. Beyond this, I found them both to be interesting, personable characters, and their love story is touching and bittersweet. The journey of their joined lives is worth appreciating for that value alone.



What niggled at me a bit was that they both left spouses and families to continue life together. Not due to particularly trying or unusual circumstances, just, you know, drift and new attraction. Everything inside me rails at this idea that one can just change your mind about the commitments made (she had 6 children with her first husband) and live happily every after. Even if it is true. But that's probably just my personal hangup that keeps sending me back to therapy. (rueful grin)

No comments: